Saturday 28 March 2015

Viper 369

Today's race can be summed up with four words:

We seriously underestimated Viper.

It seemed like a good idea when I entered, three stages each three hours long with an increasing number of laps to be completed by my team of three. Five laps in the first round, then six, then 7. I figured that the 7 5k(ish) laps in the in the final stage would be an issue but I was pretty sure we'd get through the first two. I did Delamere Parkrun in 29:43 going easy, I survived the Rivington Pike fell race and Birchwood Cross Country. It couldn't be that much harder. Even when the route was revealed I though we stood a chance.  I was so wrong. 

Viper 369 Route
The first lap wasn't too bad. I was surrounded by fellow (awesome) WRC runners and even though I walked some of the first mile uphill to conserve energy I finished in 33 minutes, well within the 37 minutes needed. It was a little muddy but the majority of the route is on solid concrete. I had to go to the edge of the paths a lot because my new shoes (yes, I know you're not supposed to wear new shoes at a race but I hadn't had time to test them) didn't like the solid ground and they're pretty rigid.  The route pretty much starts off with an easy little stretch before you reach the hill of hell, named Cobra's ascent for the challenge.  I didn't hate names until today.  You think you're at the top only to turn a corner and find out there's still more to go. You get a little relief from a stretch of downhill but then it's back up again to the mast.  Down some more, then backup to the mast again before starting the descent back to the start, running through an ever twisting snake of a descent.  There's one last small uphill (which feels more like a mountain in later laps) and then it's back to the start.

Viper 369 Elevation

So I finished my first lap.  It was tough but manageable.  I didn't give it everything so I figured I could get a bit faster.  I high fived Bryan, sent him off on his way and made it back to our temporary camp site (which looked like we were refugees there for a month, we had so much stuff) just as the heavens opened. We sat under of covers whilst the second and third members of our teams and to face the rain.  Then it was our turn once more. The course got seriously muddy and then a new battle begin. My second lap was awful, the hills seemed bigger, it was raining, my shoes kept slowing me down on concrete paths and they were hurting my big toes. I spent a lot of time on my own (due to the head start Mike had given me with his amazing 22 minute lap).  I managed to make some time up on the downhill and got back in 36 minutes which wasn't the greatest but still was enough for the first stage.  Bryan ran pretty well and Mike was just a machine so we made it though to the second stage comfortably and had a good 20 minutes spare.  I then made a big mistake...

The thought of four more laps was pretty scary to be honest, I thought if I doubled up and did 10k at once then it might be easier.  Recovery time would be longer and I figured that momentum would keep me going.  So we switched it up for stage two, Mike did a lap first, then Bryan and then it was my turn to do the double.  I changed my shoes to my Mizuno Hyate's because I know they'd be much easier to run in on the solid ground and then were.  I was able to get a really good grip on the solid ground and actually starting enjoying running.  The issue became evident when I reached the first stretch of pure mood, all I can say is I should have learnt to ice skate.  Even walking was a challenge and that's pretty much what I had to do, walk along the edge for both of the really muddy stretches.  I was doing good on the rest of the course though, I even felt I was handling the hills better but then when I got to the downhill stretch I realised whilst going pretty fast that I couldn't see properly.  

Both eyes had gone out of focus and I couldn't see where I was going.  It was pretty scary to be going round the corners without being able to see anything.  Usually I lose on eye or the other, it's not very often that both become a blur.  I wanted to give up but Bryan and Mike had given so much already that I knew i had to keep going.  I could have stopped at the end of the first lap but i think I knew in the back of my mind that if I stopped I wouldn't want to run again.  My right knee started refusing to bend too and I pretty much just lost the will, especially when I got to the mud.  I walked more than I ran in the last lap.  Cobra's ascent, the uphill timed section near the beginning of the race, became a never ending path.  I must have registered the slowest time (Mike came 4th, that's how amazing he is). When i got to the top of the hill I just wanted to sit down and refuse to move.  I probably have the record for the slowest downhill ever because it was harder than the uphill.  I was so annoyed (Although, as my husband pointed out, during bad episodes I struggle to get down the stairs never mind down a steep hill).  When I finally got to the finish I just wanted to cry.  Mike and Bryan (who were so incredibly nice to me) tried to pull it back (Bryan cut his knee up trying to get back quick enough) but were out of time to continue on to the final stage because I took too long.  After Bryan got fixed up by the very nice medic lady, we collected our medals and t-shirts and then got free donuts and hot chocolate! I hate donuts but it was the best thing ever.I really love the t-shirt too and the medal is pretty cool.  

It took me a few days to get over being annoyed at myself for Viper.  I have to say though that I would highly recommend the event. The organisation was amazing (except for a slight hiccup with registration), the people running the event were lovely and you could tell that they love running.  They did a good job of looking after us, we even had girls only portaloos. We met some amazing runners and I'm in awe of solo runners and teams of two who took on the six hours as well as the teams that completed the full challenge with some amazing times. I think the course let the event down slightly, some of the mud would have been barely passable in cross country spikes but this was mostly due to the weather.  It would be easier if the whole course was one type of terrain but that's often not easy to do.  They wanted to create a challenge that we had to work for and that they certainly did.  Sadly, due to my condition, I've decided that I need to stick to road races (off-road is just too hard if I start having a bad day) but the other events that the Viper group have organised both here and in the US look amazing.  I will gladly volunteer for them any time.

Also, I have to say that Warrington Running Club is amazing.  There's no other club like them for sheer enthusiasm and love of running (and alcohol!).  I'm second claim and run in a different club vest but they are so kind and welcoming and I'm pretty sure you could hear them from the moon.  They leave an impression everywhere they go.  It was on of my worst days ever race wise but they turned it into an amazing experience and I always have the best time when I go to events with them (although they do make me end up doing a lot more races than I planned).

1 comment: