Monday 6 July 2015

Tour of Merseyside - Day #2 Thurstaston Multi Terrain

Image owned by Mark Humphreys-Green

Ever since I did Viper in March, when I discovered than running on uneven ground plays havoc with my disorder, I've been a little stressed about today. Getting really ill at Tunnel 10k and Birchwood Brook just made me even more scared, I've never feared a race so much. Thankfully my amazing friend Ali offered to get a guest place and run it with me. She wouldn't be racing and so there would be no pressure, we could just go at my speed and if It got really bad I'd have someone to stay with me without if affecting their race.  

Image owned by Emma Pitt
The race started ok. We had quite a good laugh with the usual mix of characters (tourists = crazy). It's quite strange because it's only race two but already we have enough injured (pre race 1) to justify creating a wheelchair division (we decided that the fastest runners could pull us along). The desire to complete the tour is so great that some people will run through when they probably should be home on bed rest but we all understand the insanity and will help them cross all the finish lines anyway they can. 

Thurstaston Multi Terrain Route

Today's course, which was meant to be 5.9 miles but wasn't (good job I think you're awesome Alan), took us along the beach, up a hill, down a hill and then onto a nice flattish path. There was quite a mixture of sand, mud and gravel.  The area is so pretty, it's such a beautiful place to run, although I no longer have any desire to run on a beach.  At first I was OK on the sand, I struggled a little to get going but mostly because of my shin. The rocks started to get bigger and so I was forced to look at the ground in order to not go flat on my face which is when the trouble started. I lost most of my vision and started struggling to talk. Instead of ignoring it and keep going like I normally would I slowed down and started walking which really worked because I didn't get any worse (and even managed to moan about the mile 2 marker confusing us). 

Thurstaston Multi Terrain Elevation

By the time we saw the lovely Keith and the end of the beach I was still struggling but I knew it would go away if we just plodded for a while. Which was actually quite good timing because next came the hill. We walked ran the first bit and saw the lovely Pat with her sweets (sorry for not saying hi but I still couldn't talk then)and entered into the muddy path of steps. There was a little group of us by this time but none of us were particularly keen to move with any speed so we all just took our time. It was nice to have other runners supporting each other rather than elbowing past, we got up and over together and then my sight came back just in time for a nice downhill and then the final path home.   We picked up some speed on the path and it actually felt like we were running again. I really enjoyed that final couple of miles and we even had Alan cheering us on. After the sand and mud it was nice to be on solid flat and even ground again and we really had fun pushing each other on to the finish. I had wanted to finish in around 2:10 but were actually a bit faster at 1:09 which was nice and we had a lot of fun despite the course making me ill. It was really tough not being able to talk properly because I couldn't thank the volunteers or encourage the runners around me. I feel like I missed out on being a tourist a bit today. 


The volunteers today were so amazing.  Some of them were stood in the middle of nowhere for ages in the rain and every single one of them made us laugh or smile (I've never done a race where you have to limbo under the parking barrier before!!).  I was a bit delirious at the end but I'm pretty sure that first place winner (so far) and running machine Anthony was holding up the finish line for us to get under at the end.  It doesn't surprise me, both him and Terry (currently second even though he always starts at the back) and lots of other tourists gave me loads of support at Liverbird (my first marathon) even though they were doing their second marathon in two days and were still going crazy fast.  It's just the tourist way, mostly inspired by Alan (who is using the rest day to run Thurstaston with a tourist that couldn't make it!!).  We got drinks and snacks at the end too and I even managed to make it in time for a Wendy cake!!

19.1 miles done.  

Next race: Back on solid ground tomorrow with a 10 mile race on the Sustrans Cycle Trail.  Everyone keeps telling me it's flat but the elevation chart has a hill before the turn around point.  Hopefully it will be a bit dryer.

No comments:

Post a Comment