Tuesday 15 July 2014

FOMO

My Disney Dopey Challenge plan took a step forward yesterday, the 2015 Tour of Merseyside has now been entered.  52 miles in 6 races over 7 days, good prep for 46.6 miles in four days of races I think.   The 2014 tour, which has just ended, took over facebook took for the last few weeks with a sense of good sportsmanship very evident.   BTR Liverpool, the organisers of the tour, say that the race is all about the "spirit of running", and having followed the posts online it's clear that the tour is hard but fun and experience that has to be had. The video making the rounds of the last runner on the last race being joined by all of her follow runners to take her across the finish line can't help but make you want to be a part of it.  And it's not just the runners, BTR are going out of their way to make sure that someone who was injured during the race can run the last mile he missed (along with a number of tour runners who insist on running it with him) so he can complete the challenge and gets his medal. It's no surprise then that the 2015 event is already looking to be very popular.

The race is limited to 300 runners.  2014 was it's second year and it had around 170 entrants whereas 2015 has been open for less than a day and already the start list is at 70 people.  With the deposit scheme that BTR have just announced (Pay £25 now and the balance in September) I don't think it will take too long for the event to get full.  I was planning on entering tomorrow (As i'm going to the BTR office anyways) but after an hour of constantly refreshing the start list I decided that saving £6 wasn't worth the 48 mental anguish of worrying that I wouldn't get a place.  FOMO in full effect.  Fear of missing out, for those who were asking.

I had the tour on my training plan already but I was a bit dubious about entering.  Small running events are normally filled with fast running club people and I thought I'd be too slow (Especially in the cross country event, I'm rubbish at cross country) but I've realised by following this year's tour that it doesn't matter.  Hopefully they'll continue on the tradition of joining the last runner for the last bit of the last race.  With a bit of luck (and training) it won't be me, but if it is it doesn't matter.

Here's a link to the BTR website if you want more information about the tour http://www.btrliverpool.com/#!the-tour/c1e28


No comments:

Post a Comment